Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pssst! You’re over 40, you can’t have sweets….

At the ripe ol’ age of 27, I once had a fit friend (in the fitness industry) tell me “You’re lucky, you know when you turn 40, you won’t be able to touch sugar, won’t even be able to smell it….it goes right to your butt!)  Now, we both knew that was an exaggeration, but comical.  So, was she right????  I turn 40 in less than 6 months…EEEEK!  Do I eat sugar, and carbs?  Yes, yes I do.  Has my nutrition changed since I was 27?  ABSOLUTELY!  As we age, we’re more aware of our nutritional choices.  We may have learned some new foods along the way, we may have ditched some foods.  Metabolism does change, as we age.  (great article on menopause) http://www.eatright.org/resource/health/wellness/healthy-aging/eating-right-during-menopause

The important thing is, don't use age as a crutch (when working out and eating.)  What I mean by that is, just because you have heard you will gain weight, doesn’t make it the case for everyone.  I will be happy to introduce you to people in their 50’s, 60’s who look better than I did in my 20’s.

                
****If you find your body changing drastically, seek medical advice.  I love visiting a registered dietician every so often.  He/she can dial in my nutrition and teach me new things about ingredients, and how my body responds to those ingredients.  Get to know your body and journal.  That sugar might be going to your butt because you didn’t realize how much you were truly eating.    

No comments:

Post a Comment